VIMEO FESTIVAL- AWARDS-WORKSHOPSJun 2nd, 2012 | By Punto Magazine | Category: Seminarios / Expos / Trade Shows, Videografos
JUNE 8TH-9TH NEW YORK
- How do I vote for my favorite shortlisted video?
- Go to vimeo.com/awards/vote and watch all the shortlisted videos in the category of your choice. When you find your favorite, click the “Vote” button underneath that video.
- How many times can I vote for my favorite shortlisted video?
- Once per day per category—so come back and vote often!
- What’s so great about the Vimeo Festival + Awards?
- We’re celebrating the world’s best videos—and the people who create them. We feel video makers often don’t get the credit they deserve, so we’re doing this to recognize amazing creators and bring attention to their work.
- What is happening at the Vimeo Festival?
- Tons of stuff! You can see the full schedule of conversations, workshops, screenings, and parties at vimeo.com/awards/festival/schedule
- Who should attend the Festival?
- We designed the Festival to appeal to a variety of creative communities and anyone who’s passionate about video. You don’t have to be a professional filmmaker—or a filmmaker at all—to get something out of the Festival.
- Where can I buy tickets for the Vimeo Festival + Awards?
- Online! Specifically, right here.
- How much do tickets cost?
- 2-day Festival Passes are $60, and $40 for students. 1-day Festival passes are $40. Tickets are available here
- Can I get tickets to the Awards show?
- You sure can! Buy them here.
- Please note that these tickets DO NOT include access to the Vimeo Festival.
- What does a 2-Day Festival Pass include?
- Enjoy total access to the entire Vimeo Festival, including all conversations, workshops, screenings, and the closing night party. It does NOT include access to the Awards show. Please note that all events are first-come, first-served, and they often fill up fast—so get there early if you want to get in!
- What does a 1-Day Festival Pass get me into?
- One extraordinary day of unbridled access to all the conversations, workshops, and screenings of the Vimeo Festival. A 1-Day pass is good for Friday or Saturday ONLY and does NOT include access to the closing night party or Awards show. Please note that all events are first-come, first-served, and they often fill up fast—so get there early if you want to get in!
- Is there a Festival Pass for students?
- Yep! It costs just $40, and it includes access to the entire Vimeo Festival, including all conversations, workshops, screenings, and the closing night party. It does NOT include access to the Awards show. Student ID required. Get your pass here.
- What if I want to attend just the screenings?
- In that case, you can buy a Screening Pass for $20, which includes access to all the screenings during the Festival. Get your pass here.
- Can I buy a ticket during the Festival?
- If tickets haven’t sold out, then yes! But for the best deals, and to secure your spot, you should purchase tickets ahead of time, like, NOW. Advance registration is required for the closing night party.
- Where do I pick up my Festival Pass?
- All registered attendees can pick up their passes at the will-call booth inside the Vimeo/IAC HQ at 555 West 18th Street in New York City. Registration begins at 9am on June 8 and June 9. Awards show tickets can be picked up at NYU Skirball Center, located at 566 LaGuardia Place, starting at 7pm on June 7.
- Is there a discount for Vimeo Plus/PRO members?
- Indeed! Plus and PRO members will be contacted about purchasing tickets at a discount.
- If I bring a big group of people, can I get a discount?
- Sorry, but we’re not offering group rates at this time.
- Where do the Festival + Awards take place?
- The Festival + Awards are happening in Vimeo’s hometown of New York City! The Festival is going down at Vimeo HQ, located in the IAC building at 555 West 18th Street, as well as at select locations around the Chelsea neighborhood in Manhattan. The Awards will be presented at NYU Skirball Center, located at 566 LaGuardia Place in Greenwich Village.
- How do I get to the Festival + Awards?
- For the Vimeo Festival: Vimeo HQ and the Chelsea neighborhood are easily accessible via the A, C, E, and L subway lines at 14th Street, and the C and E lines at 23rd St.
- For the Vimeo Awards: NYU Skirball Center can be accessed by taking the A, B, C, D, E, F, or M line to West 4th Street. You can also take the 1 to Christopher Street; the N or R to 8th Street; the 6 to Astor Place, and the 6 to Bleecker Street.
- Where should I make my hotel reservations?
- For information on where to stay, check out the While You’re Here section of our website.
- Where do I park my car?
- There are lots of parking lots located within a few blocks of Vimeo HQ and NYU Skirball Center. Keep your eyes peeled (but keep them on the road, too).
- Are the venues wheelchair-accessible?
- What if I have more questions that aren’t answered here?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
FINALISTS & SCREENINGS
- When will the finalists be announced?
- In May! We’ll let you know a more specific date as soon as we can.
- If I am a finalist, do I get to come to the Festival + Awards?
- Yes! The four finalists in each category will receive complimentary passes to attend the Vimeo Festival + Awards.
- My video made it onto the shortlist! What kind of tickets do I get?
- All shortlisted filmmakers will receive a complimentary 2-Day Festival Pass. Please note the 2-Day Pass does not include access to the Awards show.
- Will all the finalist videos be screened at the Festival?
- Because of time constraints, not every finalist we be screened at the Festival. Screenings will consist of a variety of finalists, nominated works, and pieces chosen by the Festival team.
- If my video is screened at the Festival, will I receive a complimentary pass?
- You bet! If we plan to screen your video, we’ll be in touch, and you will receive a complimentary 2-Day Pass to the Festival.
- When and where is the Vimeo Awards show?
- The Awards show takes place on June 7 at 8pm at NYU Skirball Center, located at 566 LaGuardia Place in New York City.
- Do all Festival attendees have an opportunity to attend the Awards?
- Yes, but tickets to the Festival and Awards show must be purchased separately.
- Do you share any personal information submitted for the Awards?
- We protect your personal information and share only certain details with our vendors to confirm entrant eligibility.
JUDGES & CATEGORIES
- Who are the judges?
- You can find a full list of the judges here.
- What are the 2012 categories?
- In addition to individual category awards, we’ll be presenting these honors:
- Grand Prize Award (the best video overall, selected from all submissions; winner receives a $25,000 grant to produce new work)
- Digital Maverick Award (recognizing pioneering spirit in online video)
- New Creator Award (recognizing outstanding achievement from a creator within the past 18 months)
- Social Change Award (recognizing a film/campaign that uses the medium of film and the power of online communities to raise awareness of a global, international, or local issue)
- How is judging being conducted?
- Each video is judged independently in accordance with criteria specific to its category. Learn more about the categories here.
- What do the winners receive?
- Each category winner receives $5,000 to create a new film within one year. Category winners also receive a Vimeo Award statue and placement on the homepage of Vimeo.com and Vimeoawards.com. The Grand Prize winner receives a grant for $25,000 to produce new work!
- Why aren’t long-form works recognized by the Awards?
- The short answer is that there are certain technical challenges involved in enabling people to submit and watch long-form works online. However, we realize that long-form work is gaining traction, and we plan to have long-form categories for next year’s Awards!
- Will winners get any kind of special exposure on Vimeo or in the media?
- Yes! Winning videos will receive substantial exposure on the homepage of Vimeo.com and Vimeoawards.com. In addition, Vimeo will promote the winner’s work to the media. There also may be other opportunities for exposure in the future.
- Can finalists/winners meet the judges?
- We can’t make any promises, but if finalists attend the Festival and/or Awards show, they may have the chance to interact with the judges in attendance.